Frequently Asked Questions


 What are the city services hours?

City Hours of Operation
  City Hall: 7:30 a.m.–4:30 p.m., Mon.–Fri. 
  City Departments: 7:30 a.m.–4:00 p.m., Mon.–Fri.
  Liquor Store: 10:00 a.m.–9:00 p.m., Mon.–Thurs.; 10:00 a.m.–10:00 p.m., Fri.–Sat.
  Economic Development: 7:30 a.m.–5:00 p.m., Mon.–Fri.
            Please contact us if you are interested in starting or growing a business in Jackson.

 What is the waste & recycling pick up schedule?

Waste Management

Thursday - All residences have garbage pick up on Thursdays.  Recycling pick up is every other week.  Please contact City Hall with any questions.  Thank you!

          Please have garbage/recycling at curb by 6:30 a.m.

 Where do I call to get a replacement recycling container or to inquire about recycling?

Recycling Container
Environmental Health & Pollution Office
  Jackson County Resource Center
  405 4th St., Jackson

 What happens when a snow emergency is declared?

All snow emergencies in the City of Jackson will be declared by 5 p.m. and will commence at 1:00 a.m. of the next day following the declaration.

The snow emergency will end when:
The street has been plowed from curb-to-curb, or
When the Superintendent of Streets or the City Administrator declares that the snow emergency has terminated, whichever occurs earlier.

It is unlawful for any person to park or leave any vechicle upon any street...
1. During a snow emergency
2. Contrary to the directions designated on signs posted by the Superintendent of Streets.

Violation of this ordinance is a misdemeanor or petty misdemeanor

 Where do I go to get a car/truck license or a driver's license?

Car/Truck License
  Deputy Registrar Office
  113 3rd St., Jackson

Driver's License
  Jackson County Resource Center
  413 4th St., Jackson

 What hospital & clinics are there?

Jackson is host to Sanford Medical Center Hospital and Clinic, a member of Sanford Health System of Sioux Falls, SD.
The second medical clinic in Jackson is Sacred Heart Mercy Health Care Center.
In addition, there are two nursing homes in Jackson with a combined total of 110 beds.

 Who do I contact to rent a park shelter?

Reservation fee will be $25.00. There will be a three-part form at City Hall that will need to be filled out. One copy will stay at City Hall, the customer will get one copy and the City of Jackson will post one copy at the selected park. It was suggested that the City Staff write the document because they will have to work with it. Also, a sign will be necessary at each park with a shelter house:
            A. This shelter house may be reserved.
            B. Reservations must be made 24 hours in advance.
            C. Parties reserving the shelter house must clean up and leave the area better than they found it.
            Police will enforce the rules laid out.

 How do I get telephone service started

Telephone Service - Qwest
          For Home:       1-800-244-1111
          For Business:   1-800-603-6000

 How do I get natural gas service started?

Natural Gas Service - MN Energy Resources
           Minnesota Energy Resources: 1-800-889-9508

 Should I experience a power failure, who do I contact?

If you experience a power outage during regular business hours, 7:30 a.m. through 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday, please call City Hall at 847-4410; after hours or on holidays, please call the Law Enforcement Center 847-4420.

 Is there an easier way to pay my utility bill?

    Yes, A free service is available which deducts your monthly payment from your checking or savings account to pay your utility bill. You will continue to receive a monthly statement showing the amount that was automatically withdrawn.
          The City now has an e-mail address where you can submit your water and electric meter readings. The e-mail address is:

 I want to plant a tree do I need to contact anyone?

Be sure to call GOPHER ONE before digging any deeper than 12" (it’s the law), 1-800-252-1166.
            Tree Plantings: Please be reminded that when planting trees on city boulevards, street rights-of-way or on personal property, you must first obtain a permit (at no charge) from the city. The reason for this permit is to avoid interference with underground or overhead electric lines, cables, and underground water and sewer lines.
            REMINDER: On a locate, the City only locates underground electric to the meter; beyond the meter is the responsibility of the property owner to contact a local electrician. Water is located by the City from the water main to the individual’s shutoff. Sewer mains in the street are the only ones located by the City as far as sewer services.

 What are the rules for pets in Jackson?

   Dogs and Cats: It is unlawful for any person who is the owner, or other person in possession of a dog or cat to permit such animal to run at large; such dog or cat shall not be deemed to be running at large if it is on a leash or other wise under the control of an accompanying person.
   "No one shall keep or maintain more than 3 dogs (more than 3 months old) or 5 cats (more than 2 months old) on the same premises, whether owned by the same person or not."     
   Persons violating the above ordinance are guilty of a misdemeanor and may be punished accordingly.
   Annual licenses are $10.00 for each dog and cat.
   Pet Walking: When walking your pet, please respect others’ property and clean up any droppings from your pet.

 If your animal has gone missing, it may be in the pound. Call City Hall or the police station to see if its been picked up.   

Official Website of Jackson, Minnesota